Finland is green.

Everything is green; trees and other plants are everywhere. Seriously, in the middle of the city there will just be something that looks like a forest. Not to mention all of the water. It seems like we are always passing by natural bodies of water on our drives. It's absolutely wonderful if you ask me.

Today the most relaxed camp day so far, we had plenty of opportunities to enjoy the Finnish nature. After the morning project work, we had a forest adventure at a very cool place called Seikkailulaakso. Ten times composed of both campers and staff competed against each other in five different outdoor challenges. For me, archery was the highlight, because I actually wasn't horrible (with some verbal advice), and bows are awesome. Since we were put into groups somewhat randomly, this event was a great way to get to know other campers and to work together on fun tasks.

Adventure awaits!
After dinner, we had something I have been looking forward to for whatever reason - the campfire! We played some nonsensical games (they were quite fun) and then began. There was (of course) singing, and then we were able to have food!

Campers enjoy the fire.
And it wasn't marshmallows (at first). We started with dough. Yes, dough. Campers wrapped long pieces of dough around (actual) sticks and positioned it carfully over the fire to cook...or bake I guess. It was seriously way better than marshmallows or even s'mores. When the marshmallows arrived, I didn't even bother. I will definitely be making dough for my next campfie back home.

Also this evening was the first sauna and swimming day. Half of the camp went today, and I was not part of that half, which was totally okay to me because it meant more fire time. While others were in the sauna, we also played a cool but hard Finnish game. I went on a walk around the hotel area (which, yes, is very forest-y) and took some pictures, but unfortunately was finally caught by the great Finnish menace...


Not where I walked to, but still in Finland.
...mosquitos. I had only been bitten once before today, but on that walk I got some large, itchy bites. Many campers have also been bitten a lot, many more than me. So future campers, be prepared. They show no mercy.

Finland has a great natural environment that is a sure bonus of MYC. It's a great week of fresh air and trees in addition to all of the other great things. Definitely a great place to spend summer.


Leave a Reply