In ten days, I will be getting on a plane and making my way to Finland for camp! Having just come out of AP and IB exams, it's hard to believe it's so soon. This will also be my first solo international travel (and only my second time doing international travel at all!), so I'm also somewhat anxious. Lately, we campers have been getting a ton of info on the camp that just makes everything even more exciting. Here are some of the highlights, which will hopefully give you a little preview of the camp:

T-Shirts
As any teenage math/science enthusiast knows (or should know), there is nothing better than free t-shirts. Seriously, they're at almost any event you go to. Well, University of Helsinki is giving all of this year's MY Campers free t-shirts!

Song Book
Let it go, let it goooo...welcome to the Hotel California...WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS...
I guess that's what MY Camp is going to sound like during some of our spare time, because there's a tradition of SINGING! At my other summer camp, Canada/USA Mathcamp, I'm in the choir and tend to go to many of the sing along events, so I am SUPER EXCITED even though my singing sounds worse than a goat. Even better, we were asked to suggest songs for the song book, and everyone has great taste in music!

Schedule
We also got a schedule of what we will be doing every day at the camp. We get around 15 (I think) to finish up our projects with our group members to prepare for the Gala, where we will get to present to others. In addition to our projects and activities with the other campers, there will be tours and sightseeing!
One of the coolest activities that is planned is the International Night! Everyone will be presenting something from their country, no powerpoint allowed (Thank goodness. After TOK Presentations for IB I can hardly listen to another powerpoint presentation). I am working with the other two Americans to plan something, but it is hard to think of something to present for the US. Some examples of potential International Night activities include song, dance, and sharing interesting facts that not too many people know.

In the meantime, we are all working on project planning! The Applied Math group has been working on developing our trash collection board game, and we are drawing inspiration from Carcassonne and Kingdom Builder (two of the best games ever, alongside Dominion and Catan) for the board we are designing. I'm really excited to actually make the game and design our poster for the Gala!
Almost time!


Leave a Reply