Hello everybody!

This is the final countdown and I’m that excited for everything! By the way, I'm Vitória, from Brazil, taking part of the Urban Planning team (yeah, we're a team, and we're the best!). So, we're going to Finland in only six days! It's going to be my first trip abroad, so everything is new for me, that's why I just can't wait to know all these people I've been talking since the results were posted, and see the practice of the projects I've been working on. Besides, other five Brazilians and I are going to meet ourselves in a connecting flight in Frankfurt and spend five hours there. Even if it includes missing the welcome party, we'll actually know two countries!
But from the beginning: I found info about the MYC in a website and decided to try. Really, just try, because come on, I was only 16 and I was “competing” with people who were even 19, already in the college. I thought I could use this try as a good experience, and, who knows, when 19 I would have bigger chances.  I guess I had about two months to write all the information, the little essays, and review everything – which is more than enough! I remember the deadline was on December 15th, and the result of the students accepted to the next phase was sent in the beginning of February. And guess what: I was one of them! Ok, I was selected to my first option, Urban Planning, and now I would have one month to write a project about the theme, with the given instructions.  Here are some general things that I did and that worked for me:

  1. Google it! It must be the first thing everybody does, but after visiting sites and sites, opening pages and pages, checking images and images…  I promise you’ll, besides know more about your theme, fall in love with it too. By the way, I had already searched something while writing the essay on the first phase and it was useful.
  2. Watch it! There are tons of videos, lectures and TED presentations, a great and free material.
  3. Talk about it! If you know anyone who might know any simple thing that might be involved in your project, discuss it. Or, if you know somebody who is also applying for the MYC, it’ll be a pleasure to talk about it; if you don’t know, don’t be afraid of starting a conversation with someone who might go with you to this awesome thrill.
  4. Write and rewrite it! I’m someone who always has problems with the limit of characters. Beyond that, English is not my mother language, so I reviewed it the most I could, and all of this makes the next – and, by now, last - tip:
  5. Start as soon as you can!

Well, the project – that you may see on Proposals – was sent on March 3rd, and just a few days later I was contacted to the interview. I was ready to talk about all my life and my project, but instead… the Skype call lasted just five minutes! Although it was a funny interview, I was sure that the duration meant I was off… I thought about each single thing that I could have prolonged… oh, that was over, life moves on, and I already had other projects to do – notice how involved I was for someone who was just trying.
March 17th. I was checking my cellphone and… what a surprise: there was a message of an unknown guy congratulating for the M… Then I went to the computer and saw the complete list: I was in!
I do have to advise anyone to really give it a try, I’m a proof of somebody who only tried and that now has the life changed. Today I can see that Science is valued outside, I’m having an open-eye experience when it comes about culture, and I’m considering the option of studying in one of the best universities of the world.
As this post is already too long for describing feelings, let's go to the point. We’ll have to do another project with our group when we get there, for a presentation in the gala that will last about 3 minutes -- feeling like my whole life in a brief period of time.
In the case of my group, we have received assignments and made part of this project. We also had some Skype calls and I really like these people.
There is going to be an International Evening too. We, Brazilians, are preparing a wonderful and funny presentation which I hope everybody enjoys. By the way, I think I should have rehearsed the songs we’re going to dance, and I’d better listen and memorize the songs that are on the list made by ourselves – tell me, what’s funnier than a camp where people sing  in evening activities? :)
Finally, I guess everybody is planning to post here while at the camp about what’s happening there, pictures and videos. Here is a printable version of the program, by Francisco Trujillo.
See you!


Leave a Reply